Monday, November 2, 2020

The Benefits of a Decade Blogging

 I founded this blog in October, 2010, which feels like an eternity ago.

After ten years of blogging, I can speak to the positive impacts it has had on my career.  Though I originally started the blog as an outlet for my ideas on science and engineering, it quickly evolved into a space where I write for my students; after all, I became a physics professor at Vanier College in 2010 also.

Blogging has:

(1) Helped me consolidate my own ideas

(2) Made me a better teacher

(3) Given me a bank of topical content at the right level to pass on to my students (incidentally, this has become a cornerstone of my teaching approach, whereby new content is introduced before class, conceptually - students then write their reflections and submit them - and I then assign their best questions back to them so they may discuss them in groups)

(4) Been a launchpad to some speaking and radio gigs

(5) Made me a better writer

This last benefit has enabled me to produce a manuscript for my first book about the fundamentals of physics.  A couple of publishers have shown some interest in it recently.  I am hopeful to sign a publishing deal sometime in 2021.

Ah, 2010 was long ago indeed.  The blog has aged with me, but also my children - my eldest had just turned one when I wrote my first post, which was fittingly entitled "My Daughter the Physicist".  Reminiscing further, humanity seemed in better shape then.  Two years into President Obama's first term, there was reason for optimism.  I still remain hopeful that we can right the fragile ship on which we sail, but along with many of you, I am growing worried of the future (like, two days in the future, when a racist, misogynistic, reason-defying narcissist is hoping to see his time in the White House extended by four more years).

I pray that in 2030, humanity will have found its stride, and have become responsible custodians of this planet.  It is within our capability.  Until then, I will continue to write, for there is indeed a sixth benefit to doing so: it is so much fun.

No comments: